Sunday, 18 November 2012

Early Impressions of ‘Dragon Age: Origins’

dragon-age-origins-20090810070026193

I know I’m three years late to the party but whatever, I finally got this game because i only had £10 left to spend at the end of the week, and since I’ve been rediscovering Mass Effect recently I thought it only fair to give Biowares other franchise a chance.

Basically my main thought so far is that the the amount of lore and dialogue is ridiculous, usually I am a fan of a lore that appears endless, but not when it is shoved down your throat from the beginning of the game. If I was to say that every five steps I take in the game I get a new page for my codex, it would be an exaggeration, but only a very slight one, and that’s the scary thing.

I really like to take game plots seriously, its half of the reason I play to be honest, so y’no I’m in the game and I’m talking to everyone I see trying to get an idea of what's happening, giving it a chance to be in depth. After playing for hours I’m not even joking when I say that 90% of gameplay has been speaking and going from room to room, it’s insane, even I can’t take that much, I’m not here for a visual novel.

AND EVEN IF I WAS HERE FOR A VISUAL NOVEL, I wouldn’t expect it to shove three different races each with ten different gods and backgrounds and key figures and attributes and abilities and OH MY GOD I JUST CAN’T.

Basically why I’m so crazy is because I finally thought the game had decided to let me play, it gave me a quest to go kill some bandits, so I was like “Okay cool, I’ll get to really have some time with the combat system this will be fun” and then I was like “Oh I guess I have to stop in this village on the way, I’ll just make it quick”. And then I was stuck there for thirty minutes talking to people because it ambushes you with quests and lore, I learned all about the elven gods and the motherfucking mystical goats of the land or some shit, and then I had five more quests to deal with.

I just, I can’t, I can’t handle this much depth. TOO MUCH DEPTH, I’M DROWNING.

4 comments:

Chalgyr Vokel said...

I vote you stick with it. I thoroughly enjoyed both Dragon Age games, though I thought Origins was probably the better of the two. I've actually played through it 3 times now (but I'm also a huge fan of the Mass Effect series) :)

Josef Burn said...

SO EMBARESSED MY PICTURE WAS A DEEPLINK, I DIDN'T REALIZE I SWEAR IM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE (fixing it now).

ugh ma life

Anyway yeah it is actually a really fun game, the combat is really cool and challenging and I think I'll really enjoy it once I get stuck into it. I just hate the beginning of RPG's so much :/ It's like the awkward first date x10.

Chalgyr Vokel said...

ROFL - especially this one with all of its different beginnings. It's like picking the right girl for that date. :P One thing I do like is how you do affect the storyline and ending quite a bit. Question - do you have just origins, or is it the ultimate edition with the expansions like Awakening?

Josef Burn said...

It's more like picking a girl but knowing that once you pick her you'll have to get married and have three kids xD Because now I'm stuck with a human warrior (I know I'm boring) for the entire game, but whatever I like shield bashing.

I only have the game it didn't come with expansions, honestly I'm such a broke seventeen year old that money if I can get a game it's gonna be the cheapest version xD